Click here for full “Wasted Time at Work Study ” article
Summary of the Article
- Lost productivity during regular hours = unnecessary overtime pay.
- Business owners always agree that employees work better under supervision.
- Survey of time wasted by employees in an 8 hour day:
- Assumed by Human Resources = 0.94 hours a day.
- Suspected by Human Resources = 1.60 hours a day.
- Employees Admitted to Wasting= 2.09 hours per day.
- In fact, employees admit to wasting 2.09 hours per day.
- Top time wasters:
- Surfing Internet(personal use) 44.7%
- Socializing with coworkers 23.4%
- Conducting Personal Business 17.1%
- Spacing Out
- Running Errands off Premises
- Personal Phone Calls (business and cell phone)
- Planning Personal Events
- Arriving Late / Leaving Early 1.0%
In the US, honest employees stole over $759 billion dollars in wasted time last year.
In Florida, honest employees stole over $44.4 billion dollars in wasted time last year.
The owner of 5 coffee shop franchises has to leave his business in the hands of other people a large part of the time. But now he has much more control over the situation since he installed digital video camera systems in 3 of the locations.
With the system, he can check in on his highest volume locations from his computer at home, pulling up the images from cameras located in the dining rooms, inside the coolers, looking out at the drive-through windows, or inside the manager offices.
“If I have paperwork to do, rather than drive to a location, I can watch it form home.”