Educational facilities including elementary schools, high schools and college campuses can be challenging in terms of providing a comprehensive plan for security. Video surveillance and access control system for these campus settings, due to their large geographical footprints, can get somewhat complex and generally requires a different level of expertise from the selected systems integrator. New IP Based – Video surveillance and access control technology has the ability to provide the added level safety and security for students and faculty, in the classrooms, laboratories or libraries, in the parking lots and common areas as well as in the public arenas and dormitories.
Benefits of Education Surveillance Equipment
- Building Security – Access Control is the first line of defense in securing any building on an educational facility and with the integration of video, can provide security for the students and staff as well as prevent access by outsiders who are not authorized.
- Student Security – Student movement from building to building during the routine course of a day requires them to walk between buildings, across walkways or parking lots. Sometimes this occurs after daylight hours or during hours when there are few other students nearby. Monitored and recorded video surveillance can assist in making this required student movement safer and provide additional piece of mind to the students on that campus.
- Deterrence – Video Surveillance Cameras are proven to be a strong deterrence to criminal activities including theft, vandalism and assault.
- Parking Lots– Students, faculty and visitors all use parking areas and these are common areas of criminal activity. Video surveillance cameras are commonly used in parking lots and garages for the prevention and deterrence of criminal activity.
- Remote monitoring – Today’s video surveillance systems are typically accessed and managed across the network. This means that the video whether live or recorded, can be viewed or reviewed remotely. This can be done from anywhere in the school, college or university or remotely from another location or by connecting via the Internet. Secured by a user name and password, only those authorized by the educational facility would have access the video.
Cost – Today’s digital video management solutions enable campus safety directors or school security personnel to monitor school campuses easily at a cost that shrinking school budgets can afford.